Thursday, September 22, 2011

One month update

Wow!  I can't believe we have been in school nearly a month now.  I also didn't realize how long it has been since I have updated my posts.  Well, it is turning out to be a great Whole Brain Teaching Year so far!  For parent conferences, I had 13/19 parents attend.  This is a record breaker that I am proud to share. The more parent positive involvement, the better success of the students.  If any parents out there are following my blog, thank you so much for attending.  I hope that you enjoyed my presentations and have a better idea of what is going on this year in my room.

I have to say how impressed I am with my 3rd graders.  They have really taken a front row with Whole Brain and are having a blast while learning.  It seems that the genius ladder has been a sweet success.  Not only have they been doing well with it, they actually begged a substitute I had this week to do!  The excitement is adding to their success.  I can't wait to see the paragraphs and essays these children come up with.

The fourth graders didn't seem to loose any of their WBT knowledge over the summer break.  They came right in and went with it.  They are working hard and we are working on improvements with gesturing.  I have many quiet students in this group.  Our schedule has been very challenging in providing us with enough time to do all that I want to cover with them.  I have to remember that it is a Learning Support classroom with mixed disabilities and learning disabilities.  I have to cut my self some slack when the going seems slow.  I don't want them to be rushed and defeat the entire purpose of what I am trying to do here with WBT.

Our Super Improvers Wall is on the move.  We have a couple of pictures already posted.  The most challenging is finding improvements with those "perfect" students who always do well no matter what.  Talking with the other adults this week, I have everyone's help to find something that has improved in each student every week.  We all know that everyone has something to improve on, it is just harder to determine when "Sally" has improved when she always gets A's, follows classroom rules, completes 3 star homework, etc.  We are trying to focus on things such as being more vocal, asking for help, or explaining a new concept well with animation and gestures.  It is easy to find improvement with "Jimmy" who may be a fence sitter, a rule breaker, or a C student when suddenly they participate, follow classroom rules, or complete homework.  It is my goal to get some stars on the wall for my dear little "Sallys"!

On to my videos for my last point. Most of my parents have given permission for their students to be in the videos.  Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks we will be able to put something together.  My students are getting excited for this.  Keep checking back for those to be posted before Halloween!

Thanks for following my blog and I hope you like what you see.  If you are not a follower, please consider becoming one.  If you have a blog, leave me your address so that I can follow you as well. You can also follow me on the forum at www.wholebrainteaching.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snow Day Blogging

I can’t believe we are more than 100 days into the school year!  I really had high hopes for returning to blogging this school year, but wi...